Your consent appointment is where you are taken through your regime of drugs, and shown how to take them. It’s also the time when you officially consent to undergo fertility treatment, and we go over the legal side of things. This is an important part of the process which ensures that your parenthood will be recognised legally after treatment.
We strongly recommend that everyone involved in the treatment comes to the consent appointment. It generally takes 60-90 minutes.
We need to have the following things in place before you consent to treatment:
- The results of an ovarian assessment
- Either a semen analysis result, or donor sperm that has already been purchased
- A complete Initial Consultation
- Virology screening results (Link to place on fertility assessment page) for the female patient receiving treatment, unless receiving IUI
- Virology screening results for the male partner (Link to place on fertility assessment page) unless using donor sperm
- The results of a smear test for the female patient receiving treatment
- The results of a rubella test for the female patient receiving treatment
- Photographic ID and passport numbers (or NHS Numbers) for both parties.
You can learn more about the tests and assessments that need to happen before treatment on our Fertility Assessment page (Link to fertility assessment)
Why do I have to attend this appointment?
This appointment is with a nurse, who will explain the stimulation regime that we’ve worked out for your treatment. They will answer any questions you have about the process. Please ask questions, it’s what we’re here for – some people find it useful to write down the questions beforehand, to make sure they don’t forget to ask!
- Your drugs and how to use them
The nurse will explain each step of your stimulation regime, talking through the process of normal fertilisation and IVF/ICSI or IUI (depending on the relevant options).
- Consent forms
The nurse will also go through each consent form with you and explain what you are agreeing to. It’s really important that you feel comfortable with what is written on the forms. You can access all the consent forms in our downloads section here (Link to Consent Forms place on Downloads page).
- Treatment costs
The balance of treatment costs is due at this appointment. If you are unsure about the amount you are required to pay please call us on 0141 891 8749 for clarification.
If you have access to the internet, it’s a good idea to look at the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority website before your consent appointment. You can learn more about important aspects of the consent forms here.
After you have completed your consent forms and paid for treatment, the nurse will arrange for your prescription to be sent to the dispensing pharmacy, who will contact you directly for payment. The drugs are normally delivered to the clinic to be stored appropriately unless you advise us differently. The drug costs will be clarified during the appointment.
For more about the consents appointment, and help with which forms correspond to your specific situation, you can download our consent appointment factsheet here (Link to factsheet list on downloads page)